The best and worst of slip-ups and trip-ups for your reading pleasure.

November 8, 2009

Athens Animania

WHY DID ISSUE 2 PASS??? WHAT WERE OHIOANS THINKING???

Alright, I realize that is a very immature and unprofessional way to start an entry. Fair enough. Let me back it up a bit.

I’ve mentioned before that I am a vegetarian for reasons regarding animal rights. So naturally, the passing of Ohio’s Issue 2 is pretty bothersome.

Unfortunately, I think a lot of voters had big misconceptions about what the passing of this issue would bring to Ohio. And therein, I suppose, lies the slip-up. Well, I guess the entire passing of the issue itself is a slip-up as well, in my opinion.

However, it’s important to note that Athens County actually did reject Issue 2. According to Wednesday's issue of The Post, 7,170 voters voted against Issue 2 and 4,514 voters voted for Issue 2 in Athens County.

Simply by talking to voters or interested residents, I’ve come to realize that many people thought this issue would be good for farm animals. I suppose I can understand where the misunderstanding lies. Issue 2 is meant to create a “Livestock Care Standards Board” to oversee the treatment of animals in farms, including aspects such as caging and treatment regulations. The governor and legislature will appoint the members of the board.

This all seems great, until the facts of the issue are more closely examined.

The passing of Issue 2 is also a disservice to smaller local farms, as shown in this video. Found on YouTube.

The state agriculture director will lead the board, giving it a more profit-oriented focus rather than a more humanity-oriented focus, which is what the issue is meant to be. Also, according to ballotpedia.org, some believe that the industry encouraged the passing of this issue so that there would seem to be no need for more humanity-focused animal rights groups, such as the Humane Society of the United States, to place their own issue on the ballot. And now, such groups should want to place their own issue on the ballots because it seems that the best interests of the animals may not be at heart within the majority of the board.

That being said, I’ve got a lot of opinions on this issue. And I’m thinking you might too. So if you do, feel free to comment and fill me in.

Until next time, cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Brick Tripper --

    Well written blog-
    I agree with your stance.

    As a journalist in Athens - I got the chance to speak to local farmers who practice a range of farming techniques about their stance on the issue. The arguments they presented were extremely well thought out and pragmatic. I am sad that the voices of these farmers was not heard on a state-wide level before the election. so that everyone could understand the repurcussions of the amendment that has been passed.

    I think that it is important for voters to be politcally active and aware, but I think in this circumstance there was a lack of publicity and awareness from the opposition to this amendment.

    While I did not vote on election day - I am not a permanent citizen of Ohio and thought it would be detrimental to the democratic process had I voted - I still believe that the passing of this amendment was purely political. I do not think large agri-business had animal rights and protections as their #1 incentive when proposing this issue. I was against it then - and will continue to be against it - until big business can prove that they are not using this amendment as a political tool and grab for power.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like this, as well as Issue 3, were won on campaigns of misinformation which capitalized on the ignorance of the common voter.

    I too believed that Issue 2 would be beneficial for farm animals until I actually took the time to find out what it was about. Same thing with Issue 3 (not that it would be beneficial to farm animals, but you know).

    ReplyDelete