The best and worst of slip-ups and trip-ups for your reading pleasure.

October 25, 2009

Model Behavior

The rapidly decreasing average model size has been the topic of much discussion for some time now. Being a fashion superfan (‘til death do us part), I’ve always been pretty disappointed in the portrayal of women – and men – in the fashion world. However, I’ve never necessarily felt the need to stand up about it publicly, that is, until now.

My final straw was pulled when I came across an article (that was entirely too small, by the way) in the Nov. 2, 2009 issue of People magazine. The article went into a bit of detail regarding the recent debate over the overtly Photoshopped Ralph Lauren advertisement featuring supermodel Filippa Hamilton.

Here’s a shot of the ad:

This image was taken from http://www.boingboing.net/2009/09/29/lauren.jpg

Here’s a truer shot of Hamilton’s actual physique:


This image was taken from http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/10/09/article-1219046-06C13444000005DC-547_224x533.jpg

While she is clearly not as emaciated and unhealthy as the first image implies, it’s apparent that Hamilton still has a generally thin body type.

She is a 5’10” model who, weighing in at merely 120 lbs., was recently fired by Ralph Lauren. The reason for her unexpected release?

The company told Hamilton’s agency that she was no longer able to fit into the sample clothing, though representatives claim that they fired her due to her inability to fulfill the agreements set in her contract.

Ralph Lauren spokespeople have said that the release of the advertisement in the first place was a mistake and that it was not meant to be used. Though the advertisement was only displayed in Japan, the image quickly spread like wildfire over the Internet and has now become a widely viewed image.

A revealing news bit:

Hamilton had been modeling for Ralph Lauren for several years, representing the company in an iconic sort of way and, as she says, doing everything she could to abide by her contract’s agreements. She thought of the company as a “second family.”

The model has openly stated her frustrations over the distortion, saying that she doesn’t believe in the negative body image that such an advertisement implants in the minds of women.

This, to me, is an inexcusable and horrifying display of what the fashion and modeling world has come to. I’m sincerely disappointed in the Ralph Lauren brand, as it has been marketed as the “all-American” label for many years. Such a slip-up makes me not so proud to be a supporter of American fashion. Thumbs down, Mr. Lauren.

Until next time, cheers!

2 comments:

  1. That image was cartoonish in its disproportions. I'm 5'10", and once, when I weighed 120 lbs., I was called anorexic, so I cannot comprehend any lower BMI being appropriate to show off as a "model" look, much less that BMI. I find the notion of "plus size" itself even a little ridiculous, as many people who are branded with that moniker are pretty average, by my standards. The modeling business today has pretty much hit the pits. It's sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney!!! OK, first off, I'm a huge fan of yours in general. And this blog? Amaze. I love it.

    This topic, specifically, really hits home for me. I've dabbled in the modeling industry, and it can be a scary place. As in, it's scary that I was once 5'10" and 120, yet still felt inadequate and overweight. It messed with my head way too much, and since letting go of that dream (but not entirely), I've never been healthier. I cannot imagine what it was like for that model to see the distorted version of her beautiful self. It's tragic and something needs to be done within the modeling and advertising worlds. Adding you to my Google reader now :)

    ReplyDelete