The best and worst of slip-ups and trip-ups for your reading pleasure.

October 30, 2009

The Veg Bites Back

A few years ago, I ventured into that frequently ridiculed yet very self-satisfying territory of vegetarianism. For me, it was an animal rights thing. And I loved it, so there I have stayed ever since.

The popularity of vegetarianism has grown exponentially over the past couple years, though I have learned through conversation with recent converts that many are doing it just to get skinny. As though there’s nothing else in the world for people to eat besides meat.

But unfortunately, as an Ohio University student who endured the dorms (and thus the dining halls) for two years, I can say that the above statement sometimes felt true. So you can imagine the shock and vexation I felt when I read an article in Thursday’s issue of The Post that held this statement:

“For the second year in a row, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals named Ohio University one of the most vegetarian-friendly campuses in the U.S.”

Just so we’re clear, my frustration is in no way directed toward Caitlin Bowling, who wrote this article. She happens to be a fantastic writer and her coverage of this story was very well done.

But seriously, PETA? Giving OU this undeserving honor AGAIN? That’s just terrible. A definite slip-up, even though the organization may not be aware of it.

I feel as though the OU Dining Services puts up a big front about how vegetarian and vegan friendly the dining halls here are, and I’ve always felt that way. Here’s a clip of a menu from Boyd Dining Hall, the place where I ate the majority of my meals during my first year here:

Vegetarian vegetable soup? Okay, so in OU dining hall terms, that would be a bunch of soggy veggies in warm liquid. Meatless taco salad, a.k.a. lettuce and tomato and cheese in a shell. Vegetarian gumbo soup? Probably the leftovers from the vegetarian vegetable soup with some added spices to make it taste like something different. Vegan chicken parmesan is usually pretty good, but also somewhat rubbery. I’m not sure about the vegetarian three bean soup, as I’ll admit, I haven’t tried it. The tomato and spinach quesadilla is usually soggy and the vegetables taste old. Vegan curried corn rice soup, again, is something I haven’t tried. The “vegetable streudel” is pretty mysterious, but again, not at all impressive, as it is tastes like outdated veggies in a flaky, just-out-of-the-box crust.

And who knows whether or not they’ll actually make (or make enough of) what they offer on the menu.

After years of my parents’ culinary concoctions, believe me, I am not a picky eater. I’m willing to try everything, and usually like most things I try. In becoming a vegetarian, I broadened my tastes in a very big way. That being said, I can assure you that it really is as bad as I’m making it seem.

I just have to wonder how PETA made the decision about which schools would be contending for this title. Surely they only peered at the menus and didn’t attempt to come out and try the food. Otherwise, I think their choice may have been different, at least about their OU nomination.

Here’s a clip I found on PETA2.com that describes OU’s inclusion in the race:

I’m totally disappointed in PETA for the second year in a row. I guess you can’t have it all, but sometimes, it’d be nice to have just a little.

Until next time, cheers!

1 comment:

  1. THANK YOU for posting this. Seriously, when I saw that we were even in the running, I scoffed and went on a rant to the person nearest me.

    I've pretty much lived on cheese pizza and salad for the past two years. To say that the O.U. dining hall offers more than that to vegetarians is a joke.

    The occasional "alt-meat" dishes they prepare are terrible. To survive, I have found I need to go out and buy my own soy products and make only occasional dining hall visits; because, I know I'll only be disappointed in the dining hall selection and come back to my dorm room hungry.

    Love your blog, by the way!

    -Cassie

    ReplyDelete