The best and worst of slip-ups and trip-ups for your reading pleasure.

October 25, 2009

Whoa, REWIND!

I think we count on television to be more flawless than it really is.

Just because the people involved in the creation and production of television programs are technically “professionals,” that doesn’t always necessarily mean that the show or segment is executed in the most perfect of ways.

Every time I see a television flaw, I feel like my jaw plummets to the floor and I’m shouting at my roommates, asking them, “AHH did you SEE that?! That news anchor is SUCH an IDIOT! How could they have let that happen???”

But really, humans aren’t perfect. We all know that. Still, it’s terribly hilarious and amusing when such a glaring error occurs for millions of eyes to see and ears to hear.

Recently, a terrible blunder occurred when MSNBC anchor Contessa Brewer mixed up a name in a pretty bad way that got her in some hot water:

Apparently, since the incident, Brewer has been receiving a lot of complaints about being racist and thinking that every black person looks the same. While I think that’s a quick conclusion to jump to, I do agree that she made a pretty grave error in messing up those two names in particular.

Here’s another recent one:

 

I know, I know. Everyone’s had about enough of Balloon Boy. But this is just too good to pass up. I can just feel the “Ohhhh… shit” moment of poor Falcon’s parents seeping throughout the room. After this incident, national television turned from being these parents’ best friend to their worst enemy.

This one’s a little gross. Proceed with caution:

 

Projectile vomiting on live television? Really? Can’t you usually feel that coming? Wouldn’t you run off the set or not even go on air in the first place if you were feeling that a deluge of vomit was going to fountain out of your mouth? The hostess somehow actually remains quite charming after the fact, and it’s difficult to remain charming while you’re wiping your mouth and nose while simultaneously trying to respond to the caller. Props to her.

Another bodily mishap:

 

No matter how old I get, hearing someone let out a wild, unexpected rip will always make me giggle like a preschooler. I’m just glad this lady chose not to ignore it and completely owned up to it in her own, surrender-by-laughter type way. I honestly thought that the fart would come earlier in the clip as she was pulling her knees and her head in. That seems like it would be prime gas time. But she surprised us all!

I love a good soap slip:

 

I was never a big “All My Children” fan (it was all about “General Hospital” for me), but I’m pretty sure this guy is supposed to be one of the show’s hunks. Now, every time I see him, all I can think about is that little black thong sticking out above the top of his jeans like the girls in my middle school’s popular clique. And they let that go on air!

Love those television mess-ups. They just remind me of how much I will appreciate my perfectionism in journalistic fact checking and spell checking later in life. Because seriously, letting some of those things slip? BIG mistake!

Until next time, cheers!

P.S. Sorry about the wait on this post – the delay had something to do with a messed up schedule and Beads & Things on Shafer Street. My apologies.

No comments:

Post a Comment